Fuller Street, the street west of Holmes, is indebted to David L. Fuller for its name.
The Fuller boys, three of them came to St. Paul from Connecticut. David was at Shakopee for a short time in the summer of 1851, and the next spring came back and secured from Mr. Holmes a half interest in the town site which they platted as the town of “Shakapee City.”
They donated block 56 as the site for county buildings, and which is now known as Court House block.
In 1856 we find reference where David is the owner in St. Paul of the Fuller House, (later the International Hotel) inaugurated and kept by his brother Alpheus G. Fuller. The hotel stood on the northeast corner of Jackson and Seventh streets. The land was given to the brothers and $12,000 was raised as a bonus. The hotel was a five story brick building and cost $110,000. It was destroyed by a fire February 3, 1869.
David Fuller was a large and lymphatic man. All three brothers were enterprising men and their sister was an able poetess. David returned to Connecticut, where he died in December of 1856.
From the Scott County Argus, Oct. 22, 1909