The first Shakopee City Hall was built at the northeast corner of Lewis and Second streets, across from what is now known as Bill’s Toggery. The plan was drawn by Charles Bornarth (who ended up using the same plan for the Jordan City Hall). It was built in 1883, and Frank Buch was the contractor for the new two-story building.
The city hall was used until September 1957. The City decided to abandon and raze the old city hall, which was a termite terminal, in September 1957. (That area became a parking lot, and is now being renovated for a new downtown parking lot across from Bill’s Toggery.)
Meanwhile, the city hall was moved to the north side of First Avenue. The First National Bank was here for many years, and was the location of a bank robbery that happened in 1929. The City of Shakopee decided to buy the building for $20,000, and the city offices were moved to the first floor on June 15, 1958. This was the second location of the city hall. The City of Shakopee was in this location for 32 years.
In 1968, the original fire bell, which was in the tower of the first city hall, on the northeast corner of Second and Lewis, was decoratively placed for posterity at the front of the city office at the second city hall. The bell, cast in bronze, was sandblasted at Rahr Malting to get a revived look. The bell bared the names of officials of earlier times, cast in relief on the side of the bell: George E. Strait, mayor; David L. How, president of the council; Julius Coller, city recorder, and Jacob S. Kunsman, chief of the fire department. (The bell is now located at Fire House #2 in Shakopee.)
Meanwhile, the First National Bank moved to Holmes Street, on the northeast corner of Holmes Street and Second Avenue. Before this, this location was the location of the first brick house, which was built in 1853 by Mr. Coulton. The location became the house of the Sherrard family, and when David Lennox How married Mary M. Sherrard in 1862, they moved into this house.
Dr. H. P. Fischer remodeled it to become the first hospital in Shakopee, the Shakopee Hospital. From a hospital, it became an apartment, and then the American Legion Club. It was finally razed in 1955 to build the First National Bank building, which opened on Feb. 10, 1958. (This was the fifth place for the bank, which started at the old National Hotel in 1865.)
The First National Bank became Marquette Bank. The building is on 129 Holmes St. S., and became the third city hall. On Feb. 11, 1993, the city hall was occupied. The third city hall was about one block from the second city hall, which was about one block from the first city hall.
And finally, this year, 2017, a new city hall, Shakopee’s fourth city hall, was built on the east side of downtown Shakopee, near the police station. The location is 485 Gorman St. If you need to contact people at City Hall, please call 952-233-9300. The website is http://www.shakopeemn.gov/.